Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Our Big Girl

Reagan is potty trained. Have I mentioned this? If not, consider yourself lucky. I tell everyone I meet including the woman who cleaned my teeth today at the dentist's office. A potty trained child is right up there with TCBY yogurt and a best friend to share it with (one who encourages you to buy the larger size and does not judge you when you consume it in record time).

Reagan began her training on a Sunday and by Thursday was accident free. She now goes in and out of the bathroom without accompaniment and just reports her business casually as she returns to play. Sometimes I don't even know she's gone.

Even as I celebrate this freedom, this fabulous ick-free state...I stop to wonder where the time has gone. Where is that baby who couldn't crawl, who wore size 2 diapers and clung so tightly to me as we left the Hunan Province Civil Affairs office? She's 14 pounds ago. She's four sizes in clothes ago. She's a hop, skip and a somersault ago. She's gone.

But then just when my eyes fill with tears and I can't stand how much I miss my baby, my big girl comes running over with her arms in the air. "Hold me, Mommy! Hold me." And I do.

Maybe our big girl is still our baby after all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

She's grown so much!!! I followed your journey when you traveled with the Potter family. I grew up in Kansas, so nice to see another friendly midwest face.

I just had to write and say how happy you guys seem and how much she's grown since first following your journey.

We adopted again this past March (a year next month) and she keeps us hopping as well.

Our blog is:
tt6lennardadventure.blogspot.com

Are you going back to adopt again?

Tamara Lennard
WU graduate

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

After posting, I realized I had our e-mail mixed up with our blogspot address. Try this:

lennard6adventure.blogspot.com

Tamara

Carla said...

*green with envy*

What did Katie do when I proudly announced she was going to learn to use the potty?

"WANT diaper Momma. Want diaper!"

tantrum ensued (hers not mine), and I thought, perhaps she's just not ready yet. LOL