Friday, March 6, 2009

Kissing Like a Princess

You know how Reagan likes to kiss. She bestows smooches like some people smile. She's pretty free and easy with her lips, I readily admit that. It's never really concerned me before because after all, she's 2.5 years old, positively adorable and has ceased that animal cracker drool she used to slop around when she gave out kisses. She's really not disgusting about it at all anymore. She's a pro.

Yesterday Reagan and I watched "Aladdin" which is one of my favorite Disney movies (I have maybe 10 favorite Disney movies; I'm a huge fan of the "old" ones). When Jasmine and Aladdin kissed, Reagan leaned forward for deep analysis. Then she announced that she wanted to kiss like a princess. She talked about that kiss for a good 10 minutes off and on as the rest of the story unfolded.

When Aladdin and Jasmine kissed again at the end of the movie, Reagan leaned toward me and whispered very solemnly, "Mommy, Reagan kiss my Judah like that." I said, "What?" So she repeated her declaration. I said, "Well, sweetie, Judah has to want to kiss you back and I don't see that happening any time soon. That kind of kissing is for grown ups." Reagan listened to me (or at least pretended to) and then she said, "Reagan kiss my Jackson like that." I couldn't help it. I laughed. "Reagan! Are you going to kiss both Jackson and Judah?! That's not going to fly with those boys. You'll have to pick one boy to kiss." Reagan sighed. Then she said, "I don't think so, Mommy. My Judah and my Jackson love Reagan."

We do not worry about Reagan's self confidence, in case you're wondering. I think I'll put "Aladdin" on the shelf for awhile.