Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Our Own

It's interesting to me how many people are obsessed with us having a child "of your own." It's as if Reagan isn't real, isn't a person, isn't our daughter.

"Oh, you know, now that you've adopted, you'll get pregnant." I love their faces when I smile sweetly and say, "Well, I certainly hope not."

"Do you plan to adopt again or will you have a child of your own?" My real reaction to this isn't appropriate for print and I usually keep it inside myself but out loud I've started to say, "Reagan is our own and we don't know if we'll even have more children, adopted or otherwise." This always blows their minds because if there's anything worse than an adopted child, it's an adopted child who's also an ONLY child. The horror.

Everyone has an opinion. I'm an American, I embrace differing opinions. I just think I'm super surprised by the lack of tact we face on a nearly daily basis. No one would think to ask people about the night their children were conceived yet we're asked "how much she cost" at least once a week. What the?!

I thought the stupid questions would cease once we had Reagan home but that's not true. Stupid is alive and well.

I have to get off my soapbox now. My own daughter, Reagan RuXian Farrar Wellman is hollering at me for more Cheerios.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. :) Most people are just curious and mean well. Usually, they just need educated about what's appropriate & not. It will get better. At least it has for us. Hang in there. Love, lena

Carla said...

I'm so not looking forward to comments. I already get "Isn't adoption expensive?" to which I answer, "It's less than that new minivan you just bought." Or sometimes, I just say "Yes it is, and worth every bit of worry, sweat, and tears."

Ade said...

Maybe you could turn it around by viewing comments/questions like these as opportunities to tell others about the joys of adoption. I encourage you to allow God to use the energy you would consume being frustrated to His glory.