Monday, December 3, 2007

Sheer Energy Legs

Reagan came to us in the stink of July. In Southern China. She's mostly seen me in shorts, skirts or capris. She's touched my legs a billion times and despite what Danny thinks, she likes the way they feel. She doesn't seem to mind when they get a little...shall we say...stubbly. And for the most part, I shave on a regular basis, especially now that my shower time has become so precious and such a part of my fight against the insanity of motherhood. I cherish my time in the shower. I look for things to do in there to linger just a bit more and shaving is a great help to me in this quest.

But that's beside the point.

The point is that I don't wear hose very often because A) they irritate me to death and B) I constantly snag them. I can look at hose from across a room and they snag. So I pretty much don't wear them unless it's super cold and/or I have to dress up. I wore them for the first time in front of Reagan last week. Here's what happened.

My beloved child rushed up to hug my legs, after all, we'd been separated about 20 minutes. She wrapped her arms around me and then dropped her arms and stepped back a good foot and a half. Reagan's face was confused and a bit fascinated. She looked at my legs curiously for a few seconds and then reached back to touch one of them again. She pulled her hand back super quick and looked up at me as if to say, "What's going on here? Where's your skin? This looks like skin but it's not." This went on for some time as I moved about the room finishing my dressing routine. I thought she was over it.

That afternoon when I picked her up from Blakely's house, again Reagan touched my legs. When we got home, she kept touching them until I took the pantyhose off. Then she touched my real, live skin and a smile broke out on her face a mile wide. She clapped her hands together and grinned at me, completely thrilled that my legs were back and all was well with the world.

Today I wore black tights and she eyeballed me a bit but didn't feel the need to do a pat down search again.

No comments: