Thursday, February 21, 2008

It Isn't Nice to Show Off

I do ballet. Or I did. And to stay on my toes, so to speak, I do ballet videos in our basement. Reagan joins me now. At first she hardly paid attention to me or to the too-skinny-to-be-real chick on the TV. Reagan was off feeding her baby, pushing her stroller, building a block tower or plotting to pull the unfortunate kitty cat's tail.

I did my thing. She did hers.

Recently, Reagan has become more aware of the TV and she even pauses long enough to acknowledge it or point at something and shout out "baby" or "kitty" when the appropriate images pop on the screen.

My whole exercise routine has changed. I sit down and lean forward to touch my toes and Reagan pounces on my back, thus pushing me further down and making me wince in pain. She sits beside me while I stretch and splits her legs out perfectly straight and then slides her hands forward in between them 'till her tummy touches the ground. In other words, she looks like the crazy ballerina on TV, not her huffing and puffing mother there beside her on the floor.

Reagan looks at me. Then she looks at the instructor and then she does whatever stretch it is...correctly. I'm not even kidding. Reagan's body bends in ways that God never intended it to bend. I can practically hear my muscles tearing to bits and Reagan is lounging comfortably in perfect splits while brushing baby's hair or nibbling Cheerios.

Maybe someday Reagan will support us with her salary from the New York City Ballet. In the meantime, I just think she's showing off.

3 comments:

Carla said...

Repeat to yourself:

Asians as a race have lower muscle tone. Our babies, who were in orphanages, were not afforded the same muscle strengthening things we were given as children...thus they have lower muscle tone and can actually do the crazy stretches. ;)

now where did you get the videos? I think I need to do something besides lift my own little royal highness.

Carla said...

that first part? that's what the international doctors told me when I asked why Katie was able to chew on her heels at will....

Lisa said...

Carla, I got them from Amazon and Dance Supply. My favorite is the New York City Ballet workout. You should go for it! They're fun!