Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Toddler Bed Trials Part I

Friday, my angel turned 2 years old and she also went from sweet baby in a crib to monster child in a toddler bed.

Let me explain.

Reagan slept perfectly fine in her bed Thursday night. Upon waking Friday to discover everyone and their dog exclaiming "happy birthday!" to her, Reagan felt some inner calling to launch herself out of her crib...multiple times over the course of one day. We were all telling her what a big girl she is now, how she's all grown up, not a baby anymore, etc. We completely brainwashed her into believing she'd be leaving for college next week so naturally, Reagan deemed her crib unworthy of her new big girl status. She plotted her escape carefully and then made her move during nap time while the rest of us puttered about (not knowing our world was about to change forever) preparing for her birthday party. We didn't suspect a thing and by the time we realized her evil plan, it was too late to save the Earth.

Reagan nonchalantly walked out of her room (like a kid who's just stolen a piece of bubble gum and is trying to be all cool about it) and said, "hi!" to us. We stood as a collective unit--doting grandparents, amused aunt and uncle and terrified parents--and watched her come down the hall as though she was an actual person, capable of her own decisions instead of the baby we all truly still see her to be.

At once opinions began to fly and options were considered. In the end, the same conclusion was reached by all--it was no longer safe for our Little Ruler to slumber in a crib. We were just asking for broken bones. Images of my toddler wandering the house at night filled my brain and I had to sit down from the horror of it all. I half-heartedly mentioned a little boy I know whose mother says he simply doesn't realize he can get out of the toddler bed and so he stays there all night long, polishing his halo. The silence in the room swallowed me whole. No one wanted to say what they were all thinking but finally, my father put his hand on my shoulder and said, "No way Reagan is that kid."

4 comments:

Carla said...

*giggle* Having BTDT two times already (and before they turned 2 mind you)....I'm enjoying the fact that as of yet Katie has only discovered jumping in her crib. Regan IS NOT allowed to call her fellow "royal highness" yet either. ;)

We ended up gating the bedroom...with 2 baby gates...for the oldest. I thought about just gating my own room to where I couldn't get out with the 2nd....LOL

Lisa said...

Well, I need to write the Part II of this story...but I do promise not to let Reagan call Katie just yet!

Carla said...

Hey...I gave you an award. :) Hope you don't mind!

Lisa said...

Oh, thanks, Carla! I'm so flattered! Now I just need to figure out how to put that award symbol on here. :) I know people to nominate! Thanks again!