Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Night, Night

Putting Reagan to sleep is one of my favorite parts of the day. It's not only because at that point I'm barely conscious myself and feel like I've run a marathon (not that I know what that feels like but I'm guessing it's not pleasant). Mostly I love putting Reagan to bed because it is such a sweet, loving routine for our family.

Reagan is one of the cuddliest creatures on the planet and as bedtime approaches she gets more so. She puts her head on my shoulder while Danny puts on her "nighttime music" and grabs the monitor from the shelf. We sway back and forth to the music and say a prayer as a family. As soon as we say "amen" Reagan says her own version of amen and then throws back her head with mouth wide open (which if you'll recall is her form of puckered lips). She kisses Daddy first and then Mommy and then Daddy and then Mommy and then...for quite awhile because we love it so much. Then we squeeze her once or twice more and put her in her crib.

We cover her up and hand Todd over to her. She grasps him very tightly, tilts back her head again and we give some more kisses. We tell her we love her and to sleep tight and by this time she has that naughty thumb in her mouth but I can't find a hubba so we let it go.

Then we head to the door and blow one more kiss and she responds in kind.

We close the door and both let out a sigh of relief. We're exhausted. We haven't had an adult conversation all day. We need ice cream. We have 45 chores left to do and Danny's probably got to rehearse for some upcoming music performance. I need to skim the last 200 pages of a book I'm leading a discussion on the next day. We're so glad we have a break from that kid!

Within two hours, we've both slipped back in to check on her. We can't help ourselves.

No comments: