Tuesday, June 10, 2008

It's here

The stage I've truly been dreading has arrived.

Actual conversation between and Reagan and me today:
Me: I think we're going to go this way instead to avoid the light.
Reagan: Why?
Me: Well, I don't like crossing in all this traffic. If we go the back way, there are fewer cars.
Reagan: Why?
Me: The alley is smaller and it's bumpy. Cars don't like to drive on it but strollers can.
Reagan: Why?
Me: Because we're smaller, too, honey! We can just slip in here behind the buildings and pop out on the other side, closer to home.
Reagan: Why?
Me: Reagan, do you want some raisins?
Reagan: Yes, please!

It's been coming on for weeks. We tried to ignore it, to pretend that it was mere coincidence or an accident here and there...not a glimpse into our future. Now, my mom made it through two children without saying "Because I said so, that's why." I'm determined to do the same, darn it.

This from the person who swore she'd never use saliva to clean her child's body like some wild animal. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

1 comment:

Carla said...

well I broke when the oldest was 5. We were discussing WHY he had to learn how to write with a pencil or pen and practice "handwriting" in school.

I do need to post about that.

I broke after the "But if we had an EM pulse that knocked out power and I couldn't send my info to the doctor's sign in through cellphone OR computer, OR if I couldn't pay a bill online...well, we would have much greater concerns than THAT."

I didn't have any other responses other than "Because I said you had to learn how to write with a pencil and paper, so therefore YOU WILL."

Yes, that was when I realized I had some pretty major problems coming my way with school.