Friday, June 6, 2008

Our Sweet One

So the other morning Reagan woke up far too early. I could hear her in there talking to herself for awhile, perhaps going over the plans for the day. Then she started her usual mantra..."Daddy? Mommy? Daddy? Mommy?" so I pulled myself out of bed and to her door.

I intended to go over the rules about not waking her parents before 9am and then only with breakfast in bed, etc. She has yet to grasp this concept but I haven't lost hope. Instead I found her standing up in her crib, smiling a huge smile. She wore just a onsie because it's been so hot at night lately. She said, "Hi, Mommy!" when I came into the room and gave me a little "heil Hitler" salute which works for her far more than it ever did for him. How could I put her back to bed? She's impossibly cute.

I stretched out on the floor while she scurried around the room, pulling out books, feeding her babies, babbling to herself. I covered up with her tiny blanket and let my eyes rest. A few minutes went by like this and then I felt her tugging on the blanket. I opened an eyeball and said, "No way, Jose. Mommy's cold. I want the blanket." Reagan stopped pulling on the blanket and stared at me for a moment, then she spread it back out over me as best she could and left me alone. I closed my eyeball.

Within ten seconds, I heard her getting into her dresser drawers, searching for clothing. I sat up and found her digging in her pants drawer. I asked her what she was doing and she said, "Reagan cold. Cold." I crawled out of my cocoon and felt her little legs and sure enough, they were covered in goosebumps. She'd let her mommy have her blanket while she went looking for warmth elsewhere.

Too sweet for words.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regan is adorable. I enjoy reading up on everything happening in her life (and yours). May God bless you with many wonderful years and memories.

Lisa said...

Thanks, Jen. We're loving it. It's hard to believe that one month from yesterday we've had Reagan in our arms for a year!!