Friday, September 7, 2007

Are there any perks with invisibility?

Reagan and I make our way about town several times a week but I've noticed a significant change in the general atmosphere surrounding these outings. Namely, the fact that I am now invisible.

We go to the library, a place I have worked with the same people for over five years. Immediately, Reagan is swooped down upon and carted off in a flurry of "isn't she cute?" and "look what a big girl you are." If I'm quiet, they honest to goodness would not notice I'm there. I firmly believe they think Reagan drove herself over to see them. If I speak, they look up, startled that someone else is in the room, so consumed are they by Princess Reagan.

At her well baby check up? Same scenario only replace librarians with nurses and even a doctor or two. I'm paying the bill. I'm holding her still while they dig around in her ears and listen to her heart. But I'm really not there at all.

Tonight the entire Farrar Wellman family trooped out to the store for a little pre-weekend shopping. The goal was to be quick because Danny had music rehearsal in Lawrence at 7:30 pm. No dilly dallying! However, Reagan held audience in at least eight aisles of the store and that really slowed us down. Invisible or not, we have to push the cart and gather items off the shelves. Danny was holding Reagan in his arms and a person we barely know held an entire conversation with Reagan without ever once looking at her father. Maybe she thinks Reagan is a ventriloquist, the way she keeps throwing her voice to answer questions. Maybe she thinks Reagan knows how to levitate. She certainly never glanced at Danny or in any way indicated that he was present.

When we pushed away a few minutes later, Danny made a comment about being invisible and I had to break it to my beloved that as far as I can tell our invisibility is directly connected to our precious daughter. If we keep her, we lose our identity as we knew it pre-Reagan and that's all there is to it. We've decided it's a fair trade because we love her madly and all that and maybe this new state of being (or not being as the case may be) will get us out of mortgage payments or dental exams. One can hope.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep dreaming about those mortgage payments, but remember the people that really matter will always be able to see you... they just might look at Reagan first.;-}

Erica said...

Hmmm, perks? I know! You don't have to worry about doing your hair in the morning because nobody is looking anyway! You can even dress in clashing colors or wear different socks on each foot. I'd still recommend bathing though. If you start to smell then people might notice you again and the whole theory is shot. I'm glad you're having such a fabulous time with your fabulous daughter :)